Saturday 21 November 2009

Order Liv Fashion Doll - Katie


I am a collector and a doll hobbyist. I am always looking for new dolls to make clothes for and I was bummed out that Bratz are being discontinued. So I decided to buy a Liv doll. I found the glass eyes creepy at first because they were so human-like. Now that I am used to them though, I find them simply beautiful. In fact, this has become my favorite feature of the dolls! The eyes have such depth and realism, they almost seem to follow you. Katie has very bright GREEN eyes. Kudos to the artist who designed them! The eyes are TOTALLY COOL!

The face has a lot of detail and light, subtle makeup. They look WAY more wholesome than Bratz. Liv dolls look and dress like real teen girls and each has a story and 'personality' all her own. I think this is a great quality product and I am anxious to see how well it sells. I like the fact that the doll can be posed. Even the wrists and ankles bend and it is possible (but difficult) to make the doll stand up on her own. I can see this being a real win with girls who sew clothes, take photos or make videos!

Katie comes with an extra wig, which was easy to change and attaches securely with a plastic pin in the top of the head. Katie came with a long wavy brown wig and a short brown straight one with green streaks plus a wig stand. The good thing too, the dolls don't look bald when you remove the hair, instead they have a short 'pixie' cut painted on the head itself. This eliminates the problem of little girls with scissors. For one, if they want super-short hair they can HAVE it by removing the wig. Secondly, when little ones mutilate the hair (like my sister did to MY dolls as a kid!) no problem...Parents can simply BUY another wig! They sell inexpensive packs of wigs separately in a variety of colors and styles. This is good for hobbyists because we can change hair, cut it, style it, etc. This could also be a great learning tool for girls who dream of being hairstylists...VERY COOL! My sister and I would have LOVED the wig idea as kids!

The wholesome Liv look will please the mommies but I am not sure about the kiddies. If I was a little girl, I would want more "flash" and maybe some pretty dresses, gowns etc. Liv dolls are dressed in "normal" everyday clothes like hoodies, jogging suits, leggings etc. I truly believe it is possible to make tasteful and glamorous doll costumes that are age appropriate too! I know this is a new line of dolls but I was a little disappointed with the lack of originality regarding clothing. Even the extra fashion packs didn't seem to have anything outstanding, just more "normal" clothing, nothing fancy.

I logged onto the website and was unimpressed. Girls today are smart and internet savvy. I can see how they might get bored on the website. You quickly run out of fun activities and you have to BUY each doll in order to get the access code to her story. Katie's story was not very detailed and there aren't many pictures and only a few 'diary' entries. I think the site could be a little more interactive. Simply put, there isn't enough stuff on the website! They need more games, updates and activities to keep girls of today interested!

I do think that the doll's beauty and squeaky clean image will make it a big hit this Christmas. The Liv line needs some work but I think if sales are good, we can look forward to more Liv products. I personally would LOVE to see some Liv houses, horses, cars and prom dresses etc...as well as a better site! I commend this company for their commitment toward wholesome 'sweet' looking dolls. I think it is a welcome change in the doll world and I think moms will agree.

I am very happy with the Katie doll and I am looking forward to giving her a makeover! I do hope Liv dolls sell well. This company has a great start and great potential. In spite of the boring clothing and ho-hum website, I don't have the heart to take a star away from them. The doll itself is so beautiful and being that I sew doll clothing, I would change the clothing anyway so it doesn't make a difference to me!

To collectors and hobbyists: This doll may be worth something one day and has good packaging and is attractive to look at. To parents and gift-givers: The doll is good quality, has a nice 'clean' look and is a great value for the price...To girls who love dolls: LUCKY YOU! I would have LOVED these dolls as a kid! Liv has my vote as Best Dolls of 2009! Happy Holidays to all!
Get more detail about Liv Fashion Doll - Katie.

No comments:

Post a Comment