Sunday 17 January 2010

Low Price High School Musical Sharpay Doll


I bought this doll for one of my students who finds Ashley Tisdale tremendously attractive, but once I got it home and unwrapped it, I started liking it myself. I can see a problem looming ahead though, the problem being, the durable and attractive doll doesn't really look much like Miss Tisdale. They even compound their error by featuring a photo of the actual actress towards te bottom of the doll's packaging, and a child would be able to tell, that doll is but a poor imitation, a generic version if you will, of Miss Tisdale's unique physiognomy and quirky features. Let's face it, Sharpay isn't as pretty as Gabriella and she is far from a nice person! However she makes up for it in the films based on her life, by her high energy and her boundless self-esteem.

Recently Ryan from HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL was up here in San Francisco, filming the part of the young photographer Danny Nicoletta in Gus Van Sant's biopic MILK. I kept thinking, did the actor think that this was going to be a picture about milk like from cows? If so he must have been in for a shock. Actually there should be a Ryan doll for he is, if anything, even more outlandish than Sharpay, but until then I will keep my Sharpay doll in its box, staring out at me with an insouciant grin through the thin, clear layer of cellophane that separates her from me my wife, and our cats. One thing you can't see in the thumbnail is how detailed the Mattel scientists have made Sharpay's clothes and jewels. She is literally sparkling from head to toe, and the patches on her pants pockets look like they are made of mini-diamonds, while her haltertop is pink with strawberry-colored sequins arranged in a psychedelic pattern that takes me right back to the appearance of the Strawberry Alarm Clock in Russ Meyer's epic fantasy BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS. What will kids make out of this doll? Don't know--and I nearly added, "don't care," but that would be a lie. Kids need to have a Sharpay figure in their lives to learn the value of niceness and fair play--not from her, but from the black hole of moral values in which she lives with Ryan.Get more detail about High School Musical Sharpay Doll.

No comments:

Post a Comment